This is a simple and delicious snack cake that I’ve made many times! It is sweetened only with dates and applesauce and makes for a satisfying treat or snack. It is also high in protein and healthy fats from the almond butter base. The texture of the cake is so fantastic you’d never guess what it’s made of.
I love making this as a snack for my 3-year-old. He feels like he’s getting a treat and I know he’s eating something wholesome. It is also a great road trip or travel snack. I like making things like this for trips so I can have a healthy gluten-free breakfast or snack in a pinch!
- 3/4-1 cup dates
- 1 cup creamy almond butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2-1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease an 8x8 pan.
- Pulse the dates in a food processor until they are finely chopped.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix until smooth. (You can also chop the dates by hand and mix everything with a hand mixer. Almond butter can be tricky to get incorporated by hand)
- Pour into the pan and bake for 25-30 minutes. Enjoy!