I love making comfort food that is still relatively healthy. These turkey, quinoa, and prosciutto meatballs are just that! They are full of flavor and have great texture.
Using quinoa instead of bread crumbs in gluten-free meatballs was an exciting discovery for me. It works wonderfully! Adding arrowroot powder also helps to lighten up the meatballs. A combination of turkey, sweet Italian pork sausage, and prosciutto gives these meatballs a delicious savory flavor. They are perfectly seasoned and have a hint of heat from red pepper flakes. I also baked these meatballs in the oven, which is way easier than pan-frying them if you ask me!
We served these meatballs in our favorite marinara sauce over Jovial Foods brown rice spaghetti. You can just use your favorite jarred marinara or make your own. There was so much flavor, I didn’t even miss the cheese! If you prefer, you can substitute grass-fed beef for the turkey and they will be equally delicious.
- 1 lb ground turkey or beef (just be sure it is 85/15 or 92/8 - using the fat free kind will make very dry meatballs!)
- 1/2 lb sweet Italian pork sausage, casings removed
- 4 ounces proscuitto, finely chopped
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (more if you like them spicy)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the beaten eggs, arrowroot powder, salt, black pepper, red pepper, oregano, olive oil, prosciutto, and quinoa. Stir to evenly combine.
- Add the meat and lightly combine using your hands or a fork. Don't overwork the meat or the meatballs will be tough.
- With your hands, lightly form golf-ball sized meatballs and place them on the baking sheet. Brush all the meatballs with olive oil.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until they are cooked all the way through. Simmer in marinara sauce of your choice. Serve over pasta. Enjoy!