Healthy make-ahead breakfast that includes greens? Quiche.
Easy brunch for friends? Quiche.
Reheat-able dinner for a friend with a new baby? Quiche.
I have had my mind set on making a dairy-free quiche for awhile now. This leek and swiss chard quiche is just that! It is packed with healthy vegetables and tastes so flavorful, you would never guess it is lacking in heavy cream.A slightly sweet and nutty almond flour crust works wonderfully with these flavors. If you feel like making quiche is too much work because of the crust, think again. This almond flour crust is a press-and-bake crust making it way easier than traditional crust you have to roll out. Even if I didn’t have to eat gluten-free I would love this crust for that reason alone! Not to mention how delicious it tastes.
- For the crust:
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 egg[br]
- For the quiche:
- 2 tablespoons ghee (or butter/coconut oil)
- 2 large leeks, white and light green parts sliced into half moons
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 1/2 cups Swiss chard, stems removed and chopped
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/3 cup goat or feta cheese (optional)
- For the crust: Preheat the oven 350 F. In the bowl of the food processor, pulse the almond flour and salt together. Add the coconut oil and egg and process until the mixture forms a ball. Press the dough evenly into a 9-inch pie plate. Pre-bake the crust for 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool slightly while you prepare the rest of the quiche.
- Meanwhile, heat the ghee in a large skillet. Add the leeks and saute for about 10 minutes, until softened. Add the fresh thyme and Swiss chard. Saute for another 2 minutes, until the chard is partially wilted. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl combine the eggs, almond milk, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and cheese (if using). Stir in the leek/green mixture, then pour into the pre-baked pie shell. Bake at 425 F for 10 minutes. Then reduce the heat to 350 F and continue to bake for another 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool for 20 minutes before serving. Slice and enjoy!
crust recipe adapted from Elana’s Pantry